Get the facts.
Together we can eliminate Hepatitis C
Are you part of the Elimination movement?
Get Tested! Get Cured!
Days to Hepatitis C Elimination.
- The Hepatitis C Crisis — it is the most common, chronic blood-borne viral infection in the U.S.
- At least 130 – 150 million people worldwide have chronic HCV.
- 6 – 8 million Americans are living with hepatitis C.
- 350,000 – 500,000 people die each year from hepatitis C-related liver diseases, around 17,000 in the US.
- At least half of infected individuals are unaware of their status.
- Up to 85 percent of people infected with HCV will develop chronic infection.
- As many as 30 percent of infected individuals will develop cirrhosis, a serious liver condition.
- Up to 5 percent of people with HCV develop liver cancer, the 2nd leading cause of cancer death worldwide and one of the fastest rising cancer killers in the US.
- Without significant intervention, the HCV epidemic will cost the American public more than $85 billion in the next few years.
- There is no vaccine for HCV.
- There is a simple blood test for HCV—early detection helps halt spread of the disease and saves lives.
- New therapies for HCV are tantamount to a cure in most infected individuals with the virus and are extremely safe and tolerable to most patients.